Coming Soon: Summer 2018 Issue
Featuring new HONEST FICTION, poetry, nonfiction, illustrations, interviews, and more...
Digital edition and online stories available soon
SUMMER 2018 Features
New Short Stories
- Enough For Me by Becca Krock
- Year of the Pig by Joan Li
- Dog Days by Gena Ellett
- Death as a Lens by Heather Cahoon
- Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear by José del Valle
- Once Or Twice Or by Georgia Dennison
- Poem for a Young Father & Backburning by Renée Christine Ehle
- Bright Houses by Melissa Mesku
- Better World: On Dumping the Old Haunts by Avery Erwin
- The Iron Kid by Jonathan Starke
- Decline/Accept: The Bearded Loon by Kelly Hill
- One to Watch: Interview with Barbara Ridley by Sejal H Patel
- Interviews with short story authors
- Illustrations by Justin Burks
Discover our signature HONEST FICTION and more. Each quarterly issue features nearly a dozen new, emerging, and established writers in fiction, poetry, and nonfiction.
Our stories have earned notable recognition from the Pushcart Prize and twice won 1st in the Million Writers Award.
Unique features you won't find in other literary magazines include Decline/Accept, Story Statshot, and One to Watch.
The Raymond Carver Short Story Contest is open each year from April 1 - May 15 and offers $2500 in prizes.
Our guest judges have included the likes of Aimee Bender, Ben Fountain, Christopher Castellani, and Andre Dubus III.
Many past winners cite the contest as a launching point for their writing career, going on to secure agents, publishing contracts, or starting their own lit mag.
We accept short story, poetry, and nonfiction submissions via Submittable and postal mail year-round.
We pay our contributors cash, promote their forthcoming publications on our blog and social media, and treat them like literary rockstars.
If we don't publish your story and someone else does, we'll add you to our ever-growing Decline/Accept list.